Translate

Thursday, January 16, 2014

I watched three programmes by Nigella before I realised she was cooking....

January 16th – Welcome to the music pages of ‘Name-Dropper Weekly’. The fact ‘Wings’ began recording their ‘Venus and Mars’ album (is this where the title for that book came from?) in the States in 1975 on this day is secondary to the fact that ‘Wings’ co-founder and band member was one Denny Laine, a name that is mixed in with many of the finest bands and solo artists of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s and whose name stirs many memories for me. 
I first saw him perform as ‘Denny Laine and the Diplomats’ at The Annexe in Shirley, Brum, the first time in about 1965, 6 or 7 at what was a regular venue for them and me. I also remember, during their show, a regular cameo performance by Screaming Lord Sutch (he of the Monster Raving Looney Party) who during the band’s second half used to emerge from a coffin set S/C and do a number about Dracula…can’t remember the song but I do know it gave him licence to bite girls in the audience on the neck with near impunity…works for me. 
I also met Bev Bevan, drummer for the Diplomats and, being a fledgling drummer myself and intrigued as I was by the grip he used on his sticks (between his first and second fingers) I made it my business to get to try to know him. As with all things musical and as previously mentioned, I entered into this enterprise with the purest of intentions; trying to improve as a possible performer, picking up tips on how to operate ‘in the business’ from those who I thought could hack it; and believe me ‘Denny Laine and the Diplomats’ could. 

By hanging around when they were booked at The Annexe (a sort of ‘male groupie’ type but without the sex…and the looks….and the likelihood of ever scoring except on a dartboard) and helping them fit up their kit, I began to forge a loose friendliness with the band members to the point where they began to tolerate me. Anyhow, things were going really well (I like to think) and I recall drinking coffee with Denny Laine, Bev Bevan and ‘His Lordship’ after their set up for that coming night’s gig. I think the chat between them at the time was revolving round such weighty subjects as future bookings, the cost of recording studios and transport difficulties; can’t really recall the details, they are a little hazy… No, not because it was so long ago but because I couldn't help noticing that a number of “passionately-dressed” women were closing into close-proximity of the vortex of their interest (Laine, Bevan and Sutch, you understand) and I recall thinking, “Ho-diddley-hee, a musician’s life for me.”… 
See? You think I wanted to become a better drummer? All a sham. Shallow as Frankie Vaughan’s babbling brook…sorry to disappoint.

No comments: