Translate

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Back out in the mid-day sun...

January 22nd – The film of possibly one of the very best live albums ever recorded, ‘Mad Dogs and Englishmen’ (MD&EM) opened in London today in 1971; the visual record of the Joe Cocker and pick-up band album that caused so much trauma for band members and tour crew alike. Fuelled by substances both illicit and legal (there was talk they didn't need a plane to fly from gig to gig) for me at least, it became the standard by which I judged all future live recordings. Why? Because the vinyl release was given over to the public warts-and-all, something that, in this CD/Download, everything-is-perfect age, is unheard of. 
Believe me, far from being proof of sloppy recording technique or poor musicianship, recordings containing mistakes made by the band in live situations are your doorway into the heart of their performance; really. I’m not talking about a shit show full of crap playing all overdosing on ego, I’m talking about the odd dropped note, missed drum beat, out of tune harmony, flash of unintentional feedback; the odd glitch that suddenly makes the performer ‘human’. Something that is anathema to publicists, agents and managers, that the 'talent' become one of us, fallible, open to misjudgement, self-mismanagement and sudden inability. There's no shame in it, y’ know. In most cases, these mistakes are just fatigue faults and concentration lapses...but I'll give you, in the case of the MD&EM gigs, other causes may have been responsible too. That’s where the stumbling block is really between performer and backers, when the over enhancement of so-called performance enhancing substances is shrugged off by the folk who are making the money. 
Pink Floyd’s album, ‘The Wall’, and the ‘Comfortably Numb’ track portrayal in the movie is very close to the truth–back to this in a bit–where the bank (aka talent) is coerced into a continuation of the same old same old by the bankers (aka agent, manager, publicist, promoter). That kind of thinking was certainly much in evidence on the MD&EM tour, when the money-men demanded Mr. Cocker fulfil his contractual obligation to them, even in his advanced state of pre-tour exhaustion and known level of substance help. Not too big a jump to guess the tour just ramped up his alcohol and drug problems to what they later became; (cut to ‘The Cow Sheds’ at Stafford where I and about 150 other people saw a very drunk Cocker–post MD&EM tour–give a storming show; absolutely peerless. There he was still flogging the circuit even then after all that fame…my God but the music business is a shitty business at times…the waste, the wasting, the wasters, the wastrels).
I remember doing a gig at the Cofton Country Club, just outside Brum back in the late 60’s. I can’t remember the headline band’s name (we were supporting…again, but I know they were a top-line act, American) what I do remember is the drummer taking his ‘daily vitamin dose’ in our shared dressing room with the help of the band’s tour manager and then being helped on and off the tour bus and on and off his drum stool by the other band members. ‘Not long for this world.’ we all thought at the time and not a great advertisement for the ‘Joe Cocker School of Touring’ either.

With that as a foundation for this chat (didn't Clapton, when asked the question, “Do drugs make you play better?” reply, “No, they just make you think you do”?) and I guess it sounds callous to think the sacrifice of our heroes is only there for our self gratification; certainly would be true in Roman times but in 2014...? Callous? I beg to differ. The path people choose to tread is not defined by the map-maker. In whatever condition Joe Cocker and the members of ‘Mad Dog’s and Englishmen’ arrived at the Filmore East (and put onto vinyl and thence into my musical siding in 1970) they gave the recording engineers their audacity, the show its creativity, the performers their humanity…and me the feeling in my breast, particularly when I hear their medley ‘I’ll Drown in My Own Tears’, its sensibility. For that I’ll always be grateful.

No comments: