Translate

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Beatles-schmeatles....

October 22nd – Any Beatles fans out there? OK, stop reading; go get a paper and catch up with the important things that are happening in our lives, these are just the musings of a very sad individual.
You all know, those of you that have followed these ravings over the past ten months, that I’m not, never have been and, with very few exceptions, never will be in any way, shape or form considered to be a Beatles fan. You’ll remember (Ha!) that IMVHO they’ve done nothing of worth either before or after the release of Revolver, either as a band or singularly. OK, I’ll give you All Things Must Pass, Mr. Harrison’s first solo effort was a brave stab, but only in part as the one enduring track off’f that album was something of a…what is it Mr. Tarentino calls it…referencing, that’s it, it was a reference to summat else, summat famous, and law suits followed…
I can remember hearing Strawberry Fields for the first time on Radio Luxembourg; I was with a guy who was a useful guitarist and I had a hankering to be lead singer and front man for a band we were going to put together…poems, prayers and promises as John Denver would say. Good to have dreams in your life though…no, not good, imperative to have dreams in your life, I’d say. Dreams have made me the BOG I am today. Well, the transcendental-like recording production of songs like Strawberry Fields passed me by completely. All I could hear whizzing round my head was the line;
FM, but they’re an insincere bunch of shysters, these Beatles.
Now, don’t get me wrong. I think, along with probably every other second person on the planet, that they could turn a decent tune; not denying that. But that’s all it was to me, almost all of their back-catalogue was just a decent line-up of successful pop tunes that, far from speaking to me just convinced me that, as a band and as individuals, they had hidden shallows; that what they preached was a recipe for the self, a cheerleader for the hedonism to come. As for this hazy, crazy, mop-top, spaced-out, spokesmen for a generation persona they dressed themselves in…? Uh-uh. Didn’t buy it. Just think it was a smart marketing ploy, like so many other musical movements. Now, that’s not their fault, I know, it’s ours. We’re the ones who gave them new honours and watched them grow with the fertilizer of our adoration so that like our strange garments, cleave not to their mould but with the aid of use.
Well, that was a Facebook friend’s suicide note, wasn’t it? Very happy for folk to try and Beatle-convince me otherwise (or it may be that I’m just a lost cause) but that’s what you get from a Hendrix-lover.
I’m not going to get into a who did you think was the least sincere kinda thing…but…suffice to say that, Paul McCartney always had his shirt-tail showing too much for me. Still, at least, when there’s miserable old curmudgeons like me about it must have given him immense satisfaction when, on this day in 1969, he was able to deny that, contrary to popular press reports of the day he was, indeed, not dead.
Apropos of nothing at all, below is just one of the myriad reasons I never got into Beatle-mania and, at one and the same time, gives reasons for my deep distrust of the right-on philosophy announced by all peddlers of the next big thing, but, in honesty, are really only used as a sales point for us; the slave-labour from which are manufactured fame’s building blocks.
Play-don’t play. WGAF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Mmu66buMA

No comments: