Translate

Saturday, April 05, 2014

Take up thy deaf-aid and rock...

April 5th – I guess, in a way it would be useful if they should be programmed with a cut-off switch…and because that’s missing, I get a little sad at the outcome…and I think that’s particularly apposite in the case of pop music.
Pop music is, by definition, something of its type and, more importantly, of its time. Those songs that put you in touch with what it was like to be discovering love, loss, direction, future and the concomitant confusion which comes with all that ‘grown-up stuff’ did so because we became aware of them at a time in our lives when we were receptive to such things. That’s not to say these things (love, loss, direction and future) are denied the older folk amongst us but if there is a soundtrack playing to the feelings of the wrinkly generation the titles will be slightly altered; songs like, 'Shake Your False Teeth Beaker' or 'Love in Your Socks' or that old AC/DC favourite, 'Heatpadseeker'...
I’m a heavy rock fan/ex-player and although my musical taste is pretty wide ranging and eclectic that’s where my roots are. However, I also have a great deal of fondness and time for some of the pure-pop recording bands of my youth; The Searchers for one. Some of their hits, ‘Needles and Pins’, ‘Don’t Throw Your Love away’ and, in particular for me, ‘When You Walk in the Room’ (didn't Paul Carrack do a half-decent version of that) sort of caught me at the right (or possibly wrong) time in my life when they were first released, and for each generation the songs that capture and freeze that same moment for them is different to mine but, for me, the lyrics, musical sentiment, harmonies and chord progressions in ‘When You Walk in the Room’ just sum it all up; that situation at a gathering, that’s just what it feels like…

Some of these 60’s recording artists are still on the road and it’s very much open to question whether or not they should still be touring. They’re all in their mid-late sixties so not the most nimble at getting round the stage as they once were, their voices have all but gone and they often struggle to do a set longer than twenty-five minutes…and speaking very personally there’s something inherently sad in watching these so-called geriatric old pop dinosaurs hobble about the stage using a Les Paul guitar as a support mechanism when they should be using a Zimmer frame. So, for me, I’m happy to conjure up the sometime dormant remembrances those singles conjure up they by just playing the records. But then, maybe these interminable tours, done by ‘geriatric old pop dinosaurs’ give other, younger people the chance to experience and discover the self through the music that did it for me in the 60’s. No bad thing really, and I guess they’re only trying to turn a buck, just like the rest of us…

No comments: