Translate

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

I'd like to introduce my support act; but I won't...

April 29th – I wrote about Marilyn Manson yesterday and, as I was writing it occurred, not for the first time that he almost comes across as a poor-man’s David Bowie. Is that unkind? Hope not, it’s just an observation not a vendetta. As far as adopting a new persona, the pop-butterfly effect if you will, Mr. Bowie is second to none and his incarnations…that’s his changes in personality I mean, not that he’s covered in wedding button-holes…his incarnations, geddit?...oh never mind, his incarnations, Kabuki Hero, Ziggy Stardust, Thin White Duke, and whatever he is at the moment; Rich White Man? Dunno, anyway, he’s done the make-up and character work to death over the years and this is what makes Mrs. Marilyn/Mr. Manson seem shop-soiled to me.
I saw Mr. Bowie, as you know, on the ZS tour in Brum – T’was ‘mazin’, and that’s from someone who’s sort of fallen out from his performance appreciation tree, certainly after he finished with Ziggy. Don’t think this was because I missed the point of the character, not even slightly, I just thought that Bowie disappeared up his own anus after that and still think his best solo-with-session-men work was on The Man Who Sold The World album; nothing that followed comes close IMHO.
Anyway, ZS was a great show, but it wasn't just simply because of Mr. Bowie; it was largely because he was so ably supported by his lead guitarist, Mick Ronson; The Spiders would have been so much the poorer without him. Was I the only one who thought that Mr. Bowie used him a bit, not just on the tour but throughout their time together after the initial honeymoon? Probably just me. It was just the dynamic that exuded during the show seemed to be indicative of the larger panorama of the collective, to me at any rate. Maybe they were just fed up with doing the gig, it happens, even on the most successful of tours. Just thought that Mr. Bowie projected a level of callousness toward…no, not callousness, a sort of indifference toward Mr. Ronson that seeped over and off the stage. I mean, OK, using him for the sexual imagery he portrayed during the act maybe, but the rest of the time, between numbers, sidestage…? Maybe that was the point, the extension of Ziggy – the character…the usuary, the indifference the ‘bring the band on down behind me boys’ attitude…? If it was it worked, suckered me in all the way.

Clever musician, Mr. Ronson. Multi-instrumentalist, singer, songwriter, record producer. Played on Mr. Bowie’s most successful albums – Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Pin-ups. Clever enough to go it alone, worked with them all, the greats, rated amongst the best guitarists of all time. On this day in 1993, he died of cancer at the age of 46 and, IMHO, on the Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars tour, although Mr. Bowie was undeniably good, Mr. Ronson made him look undeniably great.

No comments: