Translate

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Mr. F. Zappa; the shortened version.

April 12th – There’s several things you probably wouldn't do. You wouldn't invite Ian MacGregor to give the podium speech at a miner’s conference, you wouldn't invite Daffy Duck to give the keynote speech at a conference for geese destined for the foie gras trade, you wouldn't invite Michael Gove to speak. And my guess is that, at a conference of the National Academy of Recording Arts (those folks who hand out the Grammys) you wouldn't ask Frank Zappa to give the keynote speech… 
Our boy Frank has made this column before (Jan 10th) and you all know that I hold him high esteem; let’s face it, anyone who can make an album called, Have I Offended Anyone? or Joe’s Garage and include a song on each, respectively, called, He’s So Gay and Why Does It Hurt When I Pee? gets my vote.
My blether in this daily, pompous strut I write tries to encapsulate my love (and sometime hate) of the music industry. Music has been my constant companion since as far back as I can remember; it’s been the soundtrack to many of my most treasured moments and caused some of my most embarrassing tirades and, contrary to popular belief, I really do try to keep this stuff as short as I can. With that as the backdrop, I read Mr. Zappa’s address to the top-table of musical movers and shakers on this day in 1968 and I just shake my head at my own inadequacies. 
Here, for your enjoyment, is Zappa’s full speech to the National Academy of Recording Arts (the Grammys):
“All year long you people have manufactured this crap, now for one night you're gonna have to listen to it!”

Thanks, Frank, for reminding me how to do ‘brevity’.

No comments: