Translate

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Scrotal surgery halts blog posting shock-horror....!!!

April 22nd – Sorry 'bout the break, just some minor adjustments to my manhood needed to be sorted by our local surgeon. Hopefully on the mend now.
‘Cos, of course, he did give that bloke from that band ‘Wet Wet Wet’ (just about sums them up for me, their title, but, let it pass) what was his name? Pele…no, not Pele…he was footballer, even I know that…Pellow, that’s it, Marti Pellow, that’s the fellow (did you see what I did there?) Anyhow Mr. Pellow’s remake hit of Love is All Around…; is it ‘Me…or Us’ or none of the above…? Whatever…that song we’re tortured with on a regular basis…Reg Presley wrote it and then had the short-sighted idiocy to allow Mr. Pellow licence to re-record, so his sins would, seemingly, be unpaid for as yet, Reg Presley’s sins that is; Marti Pellow remains unforgiven (I worked on The Witches of Eastwick stageplay after seeing the original with Ian McShane in the title role…believe me, Mr. Pellow remains unforgiven)…
The Troggs were never a band I took much notice of and, although I worked with them a couple of times when they came to our theatre as part of a pension-tour rock-package in their latter years…well, let's just say I didn't quite make it to their musical platform, never mind catch their train. Still, each to their own and they did give a good show, punters enjoyed it, just something about Mr. Presley (Reg not Elvis) that I couldn't quite connect to.
When Wild Thing was released in ‘66’ I was 18 and well into bands and gigging and stuff. Thought it was an OK single but never in the front-line of memorable; until Jimi Hendrix laid hold of it that is; until I picked up a Hendrix bootleg copy of ‘WOW’… bugger me! Where the F did THAT come from!? But then, that was the wonder of Mr. Hendrix. As I wrote, I’d heard the song on its original release and dismissed it as pulp-pop (Wild Thing) but had not made THE connection…that’s why Mr. Hendrix is a world-renowned, much vaunted guitarist and I’m here scribbling this drivel… Jimi Hendrix’s version just drips sexuality, aggression and a level of social discourse not encountered since Attila the Hun said;
“The Balkans. What do you think; theirs or mine?”
Just an absolute, standout, take-no-prisoners piece of work…(Mr. Hendrix’s not Mr. Hun’s)… and I never listen to it without the hairs on the back of my neck standing up at his musical audacity and panache. Brilliant, in the true sense of that word.
So, all-in-all we have two avenues of escape. Mr. Presely’s ability to publish and continue his research work on extra-terrestrials made possible by the money he made from Mr. Pellow’s re-release of Love is….compared with the money spent by Mr. Hendrix setting fire to his guitar on the first night he played Wild Thing at Monterey Festival…?
After careful consideration of the above two, I’m duty bound to say that the only thing missing from that guitar-pyre is the master tape to Love is All Around….Me...or Us...or whatever swiftly joining it.

No comments: