Translate

Friday, March 07, 2014

A view from the bath-chair of rock.....

March 7th – Funny how music makes your horizon…I mean how it gets there not how it creates it; only God can make a horizon, unless you work in theatre then anybody can do it. I've mentioned before about the fact that having children who are as involved with music as I am allows me access to bands, songs and albums that I’d never normally hear. Some good, some…well, some not so good, but all their recommendations add interest to my musical understandings and I often think that it’s as important to know what you don’t like as much as what you do. Thing is, this level of self-regard can get you into situations that are less than flattering…
I was in Prague about eight or ten years ago, touring a show…if you’re ever there or ever go back again, make sure you visit the main library and have a look at the sculpture in the lobby; it’ll blow you away… so, in Prague on a day off and I’d looked at the library sculpture, been blown away, looked at the clock with the things that whizz round and the mechanical people that walk about the parapets around the clock face and was wondering what to do next… ’Lunch’, I thought, ‘when all else fails; lunch’. So I ambled down to the old bridge that crosses into the old town… there’s a thing. That bridge. On any given evening as dusk falls the space below each lamppost is taken up by musician/musicians who plug their portable amps and keyboards into the power cables that run these lamps and away they go! Excellent... So, anyway…sorry, so, lunch, I find a small German restaurant…that reads wrong; I don’t mean an eating place for vertically challenged Germans, I mean a small restaurant that served German food; the owner may have been a small German but that’s beside the point. So, I go in order and sit. Food is excellent, enjoying the surroundings and, if memory serves, the attentions of the very, very beautiful...stunningly beautiful, Czechoslovakian waitress who tended to my every need…well nearly…when, over their sound system comes a track that really took my attention.
I listened for about three or four minutes and was really impressed by the musicianship and the almost chant/trance-like route the music followed. As you know (Jan 23rd) I like Talvin Singh, not only because I think he does some amazing Tabla work and uses a fusion of East/West musicality to excellent effect, but also for his ability to create a vibe (see, ‘vibe’…don’t try and tell me I'm not down widda kidz) his ability to create a vibe that I can meditate to (bloody old hippie). Well this track they were playing gave the same vibe (is that too much vibe in one piece; too cool? Fuckit, whatever…) anyhow, this track; when the waitress passed me next, I stopped her (not such a big ask, considering) and in an effort to be the musically knowledgeable person I am (and also wishing to cut a dash) I asked what it was that was playing. 
She looked at me, weighing up my age and probable background in an instant (I think she mistook the dribble for decrepitude). “Ali Farka Toure,” she said, “not someone you’d be familiar with.”
I nodded, “Oh, yes. Him. Thought so.” 
“You know of him?”
“Yes, yes. Just not familiar with this song, that’s all.”
She gave me a look that held a level of pity unsurpassed by anything other than a dejected walrus.
“I’m surprised,” she said in her almost faultless English – with just a hint of husky foreignness hidden amongst it. “It’s his most well known one; everyone knows this, and the album it comes from…”
She began to leave.
I began to colour.
“Must be the sound system that confused me,” I mumbled to her disappearing (but beautiful) back “…that or the noise from the kitchen…”

So, short story long, that’s how I was first introduced to ‘L’ Exode’ by Mr. Toure. You may think, with the memories it would bring back, that I’d try to move on…not a bit of it. Started to listen to his other stuff (wow) and read a little of his background (WOW) and I've remained a firm convert ever since. He died age 67 in 2006, on this day. Well, our acquaintance may only have been short, Mr. Toure, but your music can still take me back in an instant to THAT restaurant by THAT bridge in THAT country…with THAT waitress…

No comments: