Translate

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Rush and Janis Ian; Peas from the same pod.

August 27th – There are a couple of Canadian loops today. Anyone been there; live there? I’ve not, have always had a desire to fish for salmon, watch brown bears and follow a wolf pack in that sometime wilderness but somehow the opportunity has bypassed me; maybe one day some kindly multi-millionaire will take pity on a chap with unfulfilled dreams and take me…chances? Yup, I rated them as zilch as well. (Sighs, mops eyes, sniffles).
I’ve been a follower of Rush for the past 35+ years, ever since I discovered the band (1975) on their album Fly by Night…and I do believe someone introduced me to that album but can’t remember who; so, whoever it was, I am eternally grateful. OK, agreed, Geddy Lee’s voice is an acquired taste and some of their lyrics are a bit syrupy but if that’s the only beef with them then I’ll take what’s left. I’ve had the good fortune to see them twice on tour and can honestly say they have deeply impressed me both times. What it is, see, is their commitment to a social and political ideology that coincides with much of mine. It was on this day in 1953 that Alex Lifeson (lead guitar – BV) was born, and by 1968 was sufficiently proficient on the guitar to be able to set up, alongside Mr. Lee and drummer Neil Peart, the band that I know and love today; no bad thing. Being a drummer of less than average talent, I stood in awe of Mr. Peart when I first heard them, still do. A lot of his ability, as with many drummers of his time and virtuosity, comes from his jazz influences (his involvement in the compilation Burning for Buddy (a tribute to Buddy Rich) is well worth the listen (really, trust me, jazz lovers and drum aficionados) and I think, for me, he is one of the outstanding drummers of the 20th century…and Mr. Lee’s not a bad bass player…high praise indeed from an ex-drummer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDUXE9-SS4s
I think that Canada is, in many ways, a highly progressive country. It seems to have gotten a lot of the life balances right, not all, but quite a number; take its national approach to sexual orientation for instance. As in many things they seem to have read and understood the ‘what it is to be human’ manual long before the rest of us. By 2003 same-sex marriages were a legal option there…2003…ten years before what is supposed to be the cradle of democracy (us) sorted it. As of now only 13 US states recognise it, that’s 13 out of, what, 52…? 25 still have no legal recognition of same-sex marriage… The others? Fuck knows, still thinkin’ ‘bout it, I guess.
Anyone know the song, At Seventeen? Janis Ian? Highly recommend it if you’ve not had the pleasure. Although mainly aimed at girls the song speaks directly to anyone who’s been young and insecure, so that’ll be all of us then. The song is so relevant that it was used as a teaching aid for particularly challenging senior schoolkids. Like all good music should, it captivated and focussed even the most disruptive of them and the teacher in mind got some brilliant creative writing out of the most reluctant pupils and an insight into where some of their difficulties lay; self-esteem, personal confidence, what they considered to be foolish dreams that, all of a sudden and thanks to a brilliant teacher and Ms. Ian, they found out, by voicing their thoughts (albeit on paper) that they were not alone; we none of us are, what we have to learn is one of the hardest lessons in life; to trust.
Well, on this day in 2003, Janis Ian married her long-time partner, Patricia Snyder in Toronto. So, if for no other reason than giving that teacher the inspiration to use her song and that class of kids a chance to voice their hopes and fears and maybe discover just a little about themselves (and providing they are still an item) I’d like to wish Janis and Patricia a happy anniversary…

No comments: