Translate

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Ray Charles; fame allows all sorts of job opportunities

August 11th – There’s lots that go with getting your face known, promoting yourself…that’s a strange thing, that pursuit of the firefly we've branded as fame…sorry, just got sidetracked a bit but its worth considering. I mean, it’s a beast that once unchained, can be something you wish was, like Pandora, back in the box. I suppose it’s all down to the degree of fame you achieve. Being recognised in the local supermarket by a couple of folk is very…very, chuffing; it panders, I figure, to our self-image and feeling of self-worth, fleeting as it may be. However, being snapped by paparazzi as you emerge from the crapper with your jacket half on, a fistful of tissues in one hand, bare arse cradled in the other, is hardly the stuff of dreams. All a matter of degree, I guess, and yet millions of people are striving for it in this 24 hour, lottery-winner society we live in now. Isn’t there a saying;
Be careful what you wish for ‘cos you just might get it’?
The fame thing is OK if you can turn it on and off like a tap, but you and I both know that’s not how it works. You know that wonderful Neil Young album title, Rust Never Sleeps? Well neither does fame. Might seem all a bit left-field, that last lot, but in truth it is connected to what occurred when I read about the fame and fortune of the late-great Ray Charles.
I say late-great…I have to be honest, I was never a fan; too Tamla for me. I know, I know, ‘Peter, Peter, you’ve completely missed the point of him’, I know. Just that, when he was cutting a swathe through the pop/soul/blues market, I was thrashing my way through life with Mr. Hendrix as my fireside companion, so… However, I’m not so churlish as to disregard his obvious talent and achievement, how can I when Rolling Stone Mag listed him as number ten in their 100 Greatest Artists of All Time and was number two in their 100 Greatest Singers of All Time. Thing is, OK, he had a tough childhood and rose above it, he’s had awards up to his knees, played with anyone of consequence in the music scene, recorded 60+ albums, 150 singles (18 of them number ones) appeared in eleven films, including as music shop proprietor in the excellent Blues Brothers movie, had a biopic made about him…the list and accolades go on…and on…and on…and yet he never once connected with me (not that that was a prerequisite to Mr. Charles believing he’d actually made it; you know, his final accolade…
Thank God, at last, Peter Webb LIKES me!!!!
And that’s what fame is, isn't it? Fickle and faithful (both of these things when you really don’t want it to be either) sectional and all-encompassing (when fashion suits) seasonally delusional and continuously stifling at one and the same time…and always ready to remind of you those above facts, and you always have to be working it; no let up, no chance to let the fans (who make you what you are and yet it’s sometimes someone you don’t want to be) no chance to let the fans forget you…no desire for the endless end.
You, see, the thing is, even with all the awards, critical acclaim and sometime suffocating platitudes to his brilliance ringing  in Mr. Charles’ ears, still, on this day in 1992 he was gawp-object in chief when he opened the Bloomington Mall (like the Arndale shopping precinct in Manchester, just bigger…a monument to white capitalism) in Minnesota by singing one of his all time great performance pieces, America the Beautiful. Just run that last paragraph over a few times in your head, see if you can spot where the fame/familiarity/foolishness joins are.

No comments: