Translate

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Tits 'n' Ass....

May 10th – I didn't even know they were together! There’s a lot I read and don’t understand…a lot; Kierkegaard for one. There are things he wrote that make immediate sense, are immutable:
‘Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards’ but others he came up with:
‘If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe’
I would take issue with… providing I understood it.
Like you, I read the press about wars and such and read the descriptions of all their committees and summits, read the words of our supposed political leaders and still don’t understand how it can be so difficult to just say;
‘Look, let’s just stop fuckin’ killing folk, OK?
That’s it.
So, when I read that the band The Go-Go’s had announced their breakup on this day in 1985 (which apparently lasted until 1990 when they reformed) then saw the article continued on about the fact that this band, Girl Power, was strong, relevant and worked together until 2010, I thought;
‘Nope, didn't get ANY of that.’
So, me being me I had to do the research… A life in brief:
The Go-Go’s: 'US band – all female – wrote their own stuff – played their own instruments (?) – seven million albums sold (!) – musical differences and our old friend drug abuse caused first breakup…' ring any bells? No? OK, I'll continue. 'Personnel changes ensued, as did law suits – song writing credits and individual members guesting with the greats all formed part of their numerous re-appearances... Anyone now? Nor me. That little lot missed me completely. Then I looked at their line-up and one name stuck out; Belinda Carlisle and I thought;
‘Didn't she do Playboy Mag centrefold?’
See how they get ya, us stupid blokes?
I seem to remember, early in the 2000’s, the tabloids going mental over her Playboy shots (no, I've not seen them; give me some credit) and that’s what came back; that’s what their whole career reduces down to if you’re not a follower. All that song writing, recording, difficulty and performance reduced down to a footnote in a Playboy mag…
Bet she gets pissed off when that keeps coming up in interviews.
Belinda: “Did you not want to know about our song writing process?” 
Interviewer:
Interviewer: “Nope, I really wanted to know whether you've had a boob-job.”
And to cap it all, I've never heard of The Go-Go’s to boob…sorry, I've never heard of The Go-Go’s to boot; that’s adding insu

No comments: