Translate

Thursday, May 08, 2014

Hair today......

May 8th – Now there WAS a hairstyle.
In the late 60’s early 70’s, my futile, childish efforts at getting a hairstyle similar to any member of the Jimi Hendrix Experience merely allowed me to look foolish whilst in possession of an exploding head. That my hair curled naturally (I know, hard to imagine but there we are) I thought entitled me to gain an easy ride to the Afro look that was de rigueur around then; easier said than done. I don’t think I did anything obvious to train it, I just thought that, if I just let it grow it would pile up on top of my head naturally and be the envy of all; ah, simple times for a simple chap.
All was put into perspective when Billy Preston, who on this day in 1972 became the first rock star to headline at NY’s Radio City Music Hall, came on the scene. From then on I just let my hair droop, there was no competition, he’d cornered the market on the Afro. With that hair you’d think he’d have a charmed life…not so. Drugs (again) alcohol (again) and a couple of unpleasant brushes with the underage police, if not derailing his career, certainly kept it in check. Even his association with the Beatles, Eric Clapton and the Rolling Stones, as well as his popularity gained through hits like That’s The Way God Planned It, released in 1969, couldn't smooth out his rocky road to an early death. His undoubted ability on the Hammond organ, sufficient to be able to hold his own with folk like Nicky Hopkins, meant he was in demand in a supporting role until near his demise in 2006 but, under normal circumstances, with that ability and that hair…? Goodness me, what did he and we miss out on…

No comments: