Translate

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Jewel - Priceless?

November 16th – I guess I’m as guilty as the next person. Trouble is it’s really easy to fall into the stereotype-trap that’s baited for us incessantly in every branch of the media if you don’t pay attention; and as those who know me will tell you, suddenly not paying attention is a given with me, and damned infuriating to boot, I shouldn’t wonder. If television advertising is to be believed then 95% of women only really care about four things; men who still think three-day stubble is a good look, how many chocolates they can scoff,  does putting a ready-meal into the oven count as a home-cooked-dinner and how shiny their hair is. I wait to be politely corrected…or hung from the nearest lamppost by my testicles.
As featured before on FB, I’m not a lover of TV talent shows (oxymoron number 1 right there methinks) and any form of reality entertainment show (oxymoron number 2). I think they denigrate the meaning of talent, entertainment and ability, reducing everything to the power of the dollar or give already overexposed has-beens more airtime thereby denigrating the meaning of worth. In both cases they are just cheap TV which, in the first case, people do for nothing and in the second come at a budget-rate. It’s like a really tame form of the Gladiators in the Coliseum…hang on…wait a minute. Do you think we could combine the two and make talent shows exciting? Howsabout we incarcerate all the wannabes into one aircraft hanger where they can entertain the shit out of each other incessantly until, one-by-one we get to vote them off the show and then, as the losers walk out the layered-in-smoke central door, they’re shot by specially trained members of the public dressed as clowns who have also been through a competition in order to get to pull the trigger? Worth a pitch to the commissioning editor of PICK TV d’you reckon?
Deserving of extra-special dislike for me, however, are the judges and continuity people of these, the basest form of TV. That’s because of the way they’re portrayed in countless editorials, Red-Top front pages, sleb-style magazines and rolling news bulletins. The unpleasantness, the back-biting, the intolerance and the ill-mannered behaviour frequently overshadow the, albeit, empty vessel of the programme. Now, I know that a lot of this is generated to boost ratings by publicists and other members of the lowest form of life, but it has to be said that they’re not doing anyone any favours; least of all their client. Repeat this behaviour often enough and stridently enough and we start to believe the hype and begin to brand similar, probably perfectly nice people who inhabit the same cage; we call it bulk-stereotyping, the these folk are all the same mentality that can pollute once clear streams of thinking and damn whole groups of people…similar to overt racism really. Take Jewel f’rinstance.
Ms. Jewel Kilcher is a singer-poet-songwriter but as co-host of a songwriting reality TV show, Platinum Hit and a judge on the talent show, The Sing-Off (there’s so much wrong with that title it makes my head spin) she hasn’t figured much in my lexicon of pop/rock performers…it was when I read a quote by her that I blushed slightly and decided to slap myself and pay a little more attention. This was the quote:
I don’t think I started off young as a feminist. I read a lot of books in Alaska, I was pretty isolated where I grew up, and I think that I never thought I was any different than a man; I was raised in a place where pioneer women were very strong still. They’d shoe horses and build their own homes and were very self-sufficient. It wasn’t really until I’ve gotten older that I really became a fan of women, and a fan of what women are capable of balancing and achieving, by just being them.
Alaska? You grew up in Alaska? Where there’s bears and shit…? Need to find out more. So I did a bit of background reading and it turns out that, far from a Hollywood upbringing, Ms. Kilcher, throughout her childhood, roughed it for years in a log cabin with no indoor plumbing and to keep food on the table sang in bars with her father for money and my guess is this experience was a major factoring forming her character.
With the help of her mother, Ms. Kircher founded (and they still run) the Clearwater Project of Higher Ground for Humanity (HGH) in back in 1999; a NfPO which is dedicated to bringing safe and clean water to remote areas of the world…you know, the direct opposite to that other caring organisation, Nestle who only want to charge people for water because;
…water isn’t a right it’s a commodity just like gold and timber and people should be expected to pay a fair price for it…
bless.
On this day in 2000 she streamed one of her concerts and all the monies accrued went to the fund, and she regularly performs (often with others) benefit concerts for her project funds. She is a passionate advocate for the homeless and has been a staunch supporter of breast cancer awareness and has been at the forefront of a campaign to put a stop to what are known in the US as drive-through mastectomies where breast cancer patients are discharged only hours after undergoing surgery. Hat’s-off gal.
So, there we are, my huge slice of humble-pie has been consumed…I just hope I don't sick it back up when I see the next report about Mr. Cowell or Ms. Campbell…

No comments: