Translate

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Dylan and Dragsters

July 15th – Music to my ears. Drag racing has been something I’ve enjoyed since the 60’s…oh, er, hang on; that statement may need some clarification. That’s not drag racing as in me and several other men dressed in evening gowns, wigs and six-inch-heels competing against each other over a 740-yard distance to win an evening out at The Trocadero with the beau of your choice, that’s drag racing as in highly tuned, severely altered, virtually unrecognisable from the original pieces of engineering…vehicles competing against each other over a 740-yard distance to win…well, a cup, really, and your life too, so a pretty good outcome all round really.
I used to attend the British Nationals at Santa Pod Raceway every year with friends (as some of you with long memories for this daily blurb of mine will remember – me, a beautiful lady and a level of insensitivity that hasn’t been equalled since Attila the Hun forgot to knock…) when the sport was in its infancy over here. Each year the Americans would ship over a dozen or so cars or bikes and show these Brits how it’s done and I have to say, committed environmentalist that I am, I still get a buzz from the sheer, raw power of it all.
Back then, if someone did the SS ¼ m in 8 or 9 seconds that was pretty amazing. Now? Now they’re doing the SS ¼ m regularly in 6 seconds; regularly. The world record?  3.53 seconds… You know that phrase, blink and you’ll miss it? I was there (Oh, Christ, here he goes…) I was there (probably in 1970/1-ish) when a guy called The Michigan Madman regularly straddled his motorbike, a motorbike which had a Chrysler Hemi V8 strapped crosswise in the frame… So, that’s him, lying over the engine…?!…lying over the engine as he broke the then world record for a motorbike down the SS ¼ m; I think he did it in something like 7.5 seconds. He did another run about an hour later…we saw the bike disintegrate under him. So that’s eight pistons moving at something like 9,500rpm just underneath your bollocks… Who’s a lucky boy then? He got up and hobbled from this one, well he had to as he’d broken his leg…hobbled to the ambulance…they bred ‘em tough in them days…
Did a bit myself, me and one of my brothers. I know, I know, I can hear the rolling of eyes and the oft repeated;
‘Why?’
from here.
Don’t have any explanation for it at all. It’s a sound thing, I think. Like the sound of foxhounds singing in a block of deciduous, English, autumnal woodland…well, as stoopid as it sounds, those hounds and the sound of an unmuffled V8 are both music to me.
Before the English drag racing base was established at Santa Pod, the first visits to our shores by these monster machines took place at Blackbushe Airport. This must have been around the 1968 time. There were probably only a couple or three U.S. racers who came over here then, but the spectacle was every bit as awesome…fell in love with the singing V8 right then. I even saw the Flying Bedstead there…don’t be idle, look it up, it’s a real thing. Was the precursor to the hovercraft and was also instrumental in the final propulsion designs of the Harrier Jump-Jet…honest, I’m not lying; the Flying Bedstead
Bob Dylan, has done a lot of things in his lifetime. You all know I’m kind of ambivalent towards him, certainly don’t see quite why and how he’s so popular; accept it but don’t understand it. His marketability as a folk singer in the Woody Guthrie idiom (was never convinced on that one…and I’d like to think neither was Dylan; would certainly go up in my estimation if that was so) and his undoubted ability in crafting a song (you all know in what high esteem I hold, Masters of War; one of my D.I.D.’s) and also his, for want of a better word, bravery in eschewing the labels and strait-jacket put on him by his fans when he went electric in 1965 all add up to a man in charge of his own destiny and willing to announce as much, so, fair play.
On this day in 1978, Dylan performed a different kind of music at Blackbushe Airport when he did an open-air concert in front of a 200,000 strong audience; probably still the biggest for a solo artist even now…which was aptly named Picnic at Blackbushe.
However, Philistine that I am, given the choice of two hours of Dylan or 8 seconds of The Michigan Madman…? I have to say I’d be hard pushed to choose.

No comments: